"Hello, world. How ya been? Good to see you my old friend..."
So begins the chorus of one of my favorite songs by Lady Antebellum. A song that was featured on NCIS and a song that played the entire weekend NASCAR was in town in March of this year. One of those songs
I now consider a signature song in my life.
It's been a while since I took the time to write a blog.
A lot has happened in the 270 days since this year began. And, a lot has happened since I joined NCIS and started watching Twitter last year. Or was that the other way around?
????
Hmmmm, which was it?
:)
LOL. Yeah, it was ;) I had to get a smile in there somewhere.
I became a fan of NCIS last year, though family and friends had been "forcing" me to watch it since around 2009. Then I also joined Twitter. Which, it seems to have been the best decisions I made.
To recap, since January 1st 2011--
1. I've driven on Las Vegas Motor Speedway (1/30/2011) (felt more like I was racing)
2. My mom and I celebrated her 20 years at UMC (2/4/2011)
3. I watched an emotional NCIS 10 days before the 10th Anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death (2/08/2011) and learned a lesson from it
4. I enrolled in college the day after NCIS--"A Man Walks Into A Bar ... " aired (2/09/2011)
5. I got through 2/18/2011 :) (that would have been my grandma's 94th birthday, and was the 10 year anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death)
6. I started college (3/3/2011)
7. I went to my 7th consecutive LVMS NASCAR Weekend (3/4/2011 to 3/6/2001) (tickets already being renewed for 2012)
8. I got straight "A"s in four classes (so far)
9. I celebrated my 35th birthday (4/29/2011; would have been Dale Earnhardt's 60th birthday; oh how I could have heard some jokes)
10. The end of Bin Laden (5/1/2011) (which was my primary reason for deciding to go after the degree in the first place; but can I say...THANK YOU TO NAVY SEAL TEAM 6!!)
11. Started my 5th & 6th classes at Argosy University (6/30/2011) (English II & Quantitative Literacy--Math)
12. Saw the closing of the NASCAR Cafe after 10 years in business (which closed because the hotel/casino that it was in closed) (5/16/2011)
13. NCIS Season 8 ended (5/17/2011) (will be back though, thank goodness)
14. I got friended by my Uncle Bob and Cousin Kristina on Facebook.
15. My aunt died in August after I saw her 10 days earlier, prompting a visit to 29 Palms, where I hadn't been since 1997.
16. September 6, 2011, I started my 7th & 8th classes--Introduction to Criminal Justice and Composition I.
17. September 20, 2011--Season 9 of NCIS started.
I've also adopted healthier eating habits. My 3-4 can of soda a day habit is down to 3-4 per week, if that. I eat out less than I used to, which was significantly decreased from years past. Some of the foods I liked, I no longer like. Guess it is time for a change.
And, I've lost 20 pounds and a few inches :) It's enough to where I am down to the 1x stage in certain clothes. Been a long time since I was there; quite a long time actually. I looked at picture of myself from March 2005 and then in March 2009; there is a difference; then comparing the pics to today. It's not where I want to be, but it's a start. I just need to push myself further and there is no reason I can't--I've got motivation and energy. But, I have suffered through insomnia. Each day I win the battle, is a good day, lol :) It's all a trade-off.
Finances are the way they are--we've had ups & downs. But, at the end of the month, everything is paid and we have the essentials. I could ask for more (paid off car, be able to buy a home in California); but I am content with what I have, for now.
I've significantly improved on my writing and had more than enough ideas to keep me busy. I even drafted two of those ideas in an outline. Lots more to come when I have time. I've found a direction to go with it though. I've learned from others and myself.
I've been enrolled at Argosy University for 7 months, 2 weeks, 5 days. I completed six courses and got 5 "A"s and 1 B+. I'm at day 2/week 4 for these current two classes; which I can't believe. And to think on 1/1/11 I had no idea what was going to happen or what was in store for me.
Sometimes it's been a struggle for me to get everything done along with school. But, as a full-time student, I will be able to get that degree quicker than if I were part-time. I am hoping this degree will lead to a good job so my mom can retire from her job at her current place.
The degree I'm working on? For the newbies and those who forgot--
Criminal Justice--Bachelor's Degree (concentrations in Forensic Psychology and Homeland Security).
And, if you haven't noticed, yes it is more an NCIS type of study. What can I say? They influenced me that much. Though my primary reason for doing this is now gone, I still feel that obligation to still serve where I can; when I can, how I can. This is my post 9/11 life. I didn't choose it, it chose me.
I still have my moments with planes and other things. I've lost the anger I felt, but not the incredible sadness and loss. My heart will always be heavy there. I've learned to channel my feelings better.
I wouldn't trade my purpose and degree path for the world. I'm not sure what I would be doing now if 9/11 hadn't happened, but sometimes I do wonder what the world would be like.
Would it be better or worse?
Getting back to NCIS and me...
Why this path? I think it's because it's so closely connected to my family. Something I forgot was part of my life. I think back to 1990 and choices that were made. I had computer skills I didn't realize back then, and I took for granted. The Navy was trying to recruit me. I of course wanted to go into Law Enforcement, so I told them I didn't want to go to the Naval College, no wonder they laughed. Silly me, had I only known about NIS (a "NAVY" law enforcement agency), which would become NCIS in my sophomore year of high school ...perhaps my life would have been different.
Would I have been stationed at the Navy Yard in Washington, DC as a team leader? Would I be the one saying "grab your gear"? :) I wish I knew. Would I have investigated the USS Cole bombing as the NCIS Agent Afloat? What would my role have been on 9/11? Where would I be today?
Would NCIS the TV Show even be on? Now that I wouldn't want to think about. Then again, maybe it's a good thing I won't know, or don't know what my life would have been like had it taken another turn.
I know I won't be an NCIS agent, not in this life. Nor any law enforcement agent. That time has passed, well unless they change the age limits. However, I can still be an analyst. I can write books, and hope to write for NCIS (the TV show that is).
But, I am not going to think of the future too much. Sometimes when you do, it's here before you know it and all that time is gone. After all, who wants to fast forward to the end of the road when the journey is just as fun?
But even now, I don't feel like I am 35. Somedays, I feel as though my life is just beginning. I think age is just a number. It isn't your age that makes you old, it's the way you perceive yourself. I still feel young, but with wisdom and maturity; and my silly streak. It's who I am.
When my uncle Bob and my cousin (his daughter/my cousin) Kristina friended me on Facebook it was as if I had gotten part of my pre-9/11 life back. I'm just wondering if it was because of my choices last year that set my life into motion. I'd like to think that.
I wondered why my aunt died when she did. But I won't go into that here. I do know I was able to reconnect with more of my family, who I cherish, and I want to see more often than I have.
For now I am going focus on what I enjoy doing--photography, writing and studying.
Occasionally I still go through the stuff from storage. Somedays it's as though I am finding my life again, other times it's as if it's someone else's life I am looking into. Perhaps it is. But it's all good. I've really learned and experienced quite a bit.
I also can't forget the influence God has had on and in my life. For those who don't believe, there is nothing I can say to change you...but I know there is a God. His purpose might not always be clear to us. I think about how this year started, and where we are; for better or worse. I have to believe my family has come together for a particular reason.
And, I also looked to where I was as opposed to where I am. Though some of it has been my choice, most of it has been guided.
For whatever greater good I have done, am doing and will do--this is my life. I'm not going to say I have regrets, or that I don't. I've done what needed to be done, when it was needed to be done.
Well, it's time to end this blog. I have quite a bit of work to do, but when don't I?
Now...where was I?
Hmmm, since I forgot, perhaps I should tell you a story. It goes like this...
"A man walks into a bar...."
Yeah, that's always a good ending :)
If there are any typos, let me know so I can correct them. I know it's a long blog, so they're bound to be in there :)
ReplyDelete